Kitesurfing is one of those activities or sports that has a small but passionate base of participants. Many of them have grown in skill from their beginnings, and they’ve probably gone through some different equipment combinations to get to their favorite setup.
Kitesurfing kites should be stable, easily controllable, not too reactive or over-responsive, and easy to transport and assemble. A good all-around kite will have features that beginning fliers can learn to use with experience so they can progress in skill without having to frequently replace their kites.
- Core Nexus 2 2020
- North Reach 2021
- Cabrinha Switchblade 2020
Let’s take individual looks at these kites.
AquaSportsPlanet is an Amazon Associate. As an Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. We also maintain affiliate relationships with other companies. Purchases made through affiliate links pay us a commission but do not increase cost to the buyer. For a full list, read our affiliate disclosure statement.
4.9 out of 5 ratings
The Core Nexus 2 2020 is a German-manufactured one of the most industry-recommended kites. The kite’s quality is reputable and good—a good investment for beginner to intermediate kiteboarders. It is easy to launch and has stable flight features.
This kite can be used by beginners and advanced users with its packing performance and hybrid-kite shape. You can use it for freeriding, freestyling, and surfing—it is an excellent versatile kite and sports a wide range of sizes. It is “a glider you can rely on in any situation at any time.”
- Best for novice kiteboarders
- Adjusts on the rider’s kiteboarding experience
- Light materials
- Smooth ride
- Unsuitable for unhooked riding
- Some have difficulty maneuvering the kite when freestyling
- Delivery may take time
- Exotex 2: A more durable polyester weaves
- Coretex 2 Canopy: Tear-resistant and durable canopy fabric
- Exotext Light Struts: Reduces mass by 10%–more chances for freestyling and wave riders
- 3 Strut Light Frame: Fewer struts mean more chances for wave performance and kite loops
- Future C Shape: Smooth and manageable turns
- Instant Relaunch: Can be released from the water or waves with a quick tug
- Coretex triple ripstop canopy: Extreme durability and UV protection.
North Reach 2021, being acclaimed as the best All-rounder kite, speaks for itself. This 3-strut all-rounder is versatile in any wind range. Its lightweight components enable riders and windsurfers to take big jumps and effortlessly relaunch while in the great waters. Even though it is light, it makes up for its durability, responsive steering, and power delivery.
It is suitable for light winds for freestyling, even for beginner kiteboarders. North Reach showcased an abundance of features and smooth handling—allowing you to take greater heights and conquer large winds and waves. Its swept-back wingtip serves the purpose of maintaining stability along your ride.
- Convenient to control and use
- Stable around waters
- Convenient on the elbows and knees
- High performance and smooth ride
- Some beginners have difficulty with the usage
- Kind of pricey and expensive for some
- In-demand and tends to be out-of-stock
- New N-Dure Dacron: Uses lightweight edge and struts without risking durability.
- Massive Wind Range and Upwind Drive: Maintain a smooth and efficient profile entry and upwind drive.
- Easy Relaunch: The leading-edge diameter medium-high aspect design enables more area in the kite’s center and provides enough buoyancy that allows the kite to snag quickly from the water.
- Short Responsive Bridle: The bridle is cut to improve accuracy and consistency, which results in reduced shrinkage, reduced elongation, and improved longevity.
- Lightweight Construction and Bladders: With a newly adopted size, the reduction of the bladders can now perform under lighter winds and fly more efficiently.
- Responsive Steering: Fast response and tight turning radius allow riders to control their wave surfing experience easily. The predictable steering and response do not overwhelm the riders in the following action or turns.
- Wide Range Of Size: Comes in a wide variety of sizes. Perfect for those who would like to try kitesurfing for the first time.
- Duralite Seam Protection: Seams and stitches can endure strong waves or potential tears.
- Inclusions: Kite, Bag, and Repair Kit are included when purchasing the North Reach kite.
- Color: Comes with basic red seas, pacific blue, and marine green colors
4.6 out of 5 stars
Cabrina Switchblade 2020 uses nano ripstop material, making it stiffer and more durable. This Switchblade has established a good reputation for decades. The Cabrinha Switchblade sports a special nano ripstop fabric with 55 grams per sqm and a ripstop structure of 3 millimeters in size which significantly increases the tensile and tear strength.
The canopy stands firmly with a new coating. It means that the canopy will remain calm under the sudden and strong gusts of ocean winds and turbulence. Its minimal and precise steering impulses allow you to be calm under pressure and easily glide smoothly. You can also use it under huge wind rage since it has a robust and versatile feature.
- Used-friendly and suitable for beginners
- Stable, durable, and flexible
- A trusted brand for over a decade
- Not the fastest
- Difficulty responsiveness to the rider’s steering
- Wind Chart Knots: The Cabrinha knots range from 5m to 14 m wind chart knots
- High Tenacity Dacron: Comprises high tenacity yarns with an increased thread count to prevent elongation in the warp direction.
- Nano Ripstop Canopy: This canopy provides reactive and stable properties to sustain a high-level performance.
- Hang Times: The Cabrinha has five stable strut platforms that allow stability when gliding in higher winds and a wide arc for increased glide time.
- Swept Leaping Edge: This feature enables more sweep in increased range and easy relaunching even in lighter winds.